Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Simple learning that Lasts

 We are always learning, even though we may be unconscious of the effort.   Lately I am reminded how often some of the simple, early  messages  are ever useful in my life. At the time I didn't realize I was learning important things for my future. 

 How about the multiplication tables?  I don't think they use that tool any more, but I haul it out of my mental file regularly for all sorts of tasks requiring measurement.  Simple division is another one.  I am glad that old-fashioned math works for me in my life, not sure I could manage the new versions.

 "Thirty days hath September, April, June and November,,,,etc."  That is another one. Think of the nursery rhymes that provides guidance, still, in behavior:  "one, two, buckle your shoe; three, four, shut the door; five, six, pick up sticks,"  and so on.

 The chants that went with learning to jump rope were a bit nonsensical, yet often held some instruction, as our nimble feet managed to miss the twirling rope.  Learning to count as the steps got higher and higher, was an accomplishment in more than one way, totally disregarding the exercise gained in the process. 

These simple tools and many others have spanned the years and continue to be helpful.  I don't need to wonder if the app on my phone will change or a new program come up with something beyond my understanding.   There is no need for constantly changing passwords.  It is a comfort to have something so enduring in the ever changing world of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment